By: Jennifer Schommer, Recipe Designer, Common Man Cocktails, Hudson, New Hampshire.
- 10 pieces of ginger
- 10 sage leaves
- 1 1/2 ounces Elijah Craig small batch bourbon
- 1 ounce Montelobos mezcal
- 3/4 ounce honey
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces Q ginger beer
- Sage sprig for garnish
- Muddle sage and ginger with honey and lemon juice in a shaker.
- Add ice and remaining ingredients, except ginger beer.
- Shake for about 30 seconds or until chilled.
- Double strain into a copper mug filled with crushed ice.
Garnish with a sage sprig.
My inspiration for The Wise Oaxacan Mule, my retake on the Moscow mule, was my maturing cocktail tastes. A year or two ago, I would have created a much different drink, most likely containing rum. Don’t get me wrong – I love rum. But I have branched out and tried other alcohols and flavors. I wanted to compliment the ginger flavor found in the original Moscow mule. What better way to compliment a flavor than with the dynamic taste of herbs? I tried a few different herbs and determined that sage worked the best. I am quite proud of the flavors found in the drink and also amazed that I created a drink using bourbon and mezcal.