By: Ariel Scalise, Bartender, Grit & Grace, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- 2 ounces Absolut Ruby Red vodka
- 3/4 ounce John D. Taylor’s Velvet Falernum
- 1/2 ounce lemongrass simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1/4 ounce Crème de Violette
- 2 ounces soda water
- 3 dashes The Bitter Housewife’s grapefruit bitters
- 3/4 ounces muddled fresh ginger
- 1 pea sized wasabi ball
- Peel and slice three quarters of an ounce of fresh ginger.
- Place in tin and muddle aggressively.
- Add one pea-sized wasabi ball to tin, and add three dashes of The Bitter Housewife’s grapefruit bitters.
- Add all remaining liquid ingredients to tin, add ice and thoroughly shake to combine all ingredients.
- Fine strain into mule mug with three one-by-one-inch ice cubes and top with soda water. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
I gather my inspiration from adding Tiki and Asian influences to amplify the typical mule recipe. Adding the fresh wasabi amplifies the ginger bite without loosing it. Using Absolut Ruby Red is using a quality vodka with more flavor and depth than a non-flavored vodka. I am a huge fan of lemongrass flavor so the lemongrass simple really blends with the wasabi perfectly. The Crème de Violette and Falernum give the mule almost a delicate aspect to the kickback from the spiciness of the ginger and wasabi.