Created by: Konrad Kantor, Part Owner, El Libre, New Orleans, LA.
- 2 ounces Aviation Gin
- 1/2 ounce kaffir lime and lemongrass water (see recipe page 00)
- 1/2 ounce galangal syrup (see recipe page 00)
- 1/4 teaspoon anhydrous citric acid
Club soda, to top
- Sprig of cilantro, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients into an empty copper mug.
- Fill with four cubes of cold draft ice, and top with club soda.
- Garnish with a generous sprig of cilantro.
Kaffir Lime & Lemongrass Water: Boil 1/2 ounce each of kaffir lime leaves and chopped lemongrass with 8 cups of water for around 20-30 minutes. Cool to room temperature, and strain.
Galangal Syrup: Combine equal parts of juiced and strained galangal root with 2:1 Demerara syrup.
While many of my cocktails are Cuban, for this mule I took my inspiration from Thailand. The drink features galangal, which is a wonderful substitution for those who love a ginger syrup — and it packs more of a punch. The drink is vegan friendly, and the ingredients stay true to most traditional Thai dishes, including the sprig of cilantro as a garnish.